Monday, November 2, 2009

Steak is to Mashed Potatoes as Jesus is to Christmas

I feel like a lot of things have happened that have been good lately, bu really, it might just be my state of being. My attitude. My thought-process. Maybe.
First of all, this is probably going to be very random and full of weirdness. I'm going with the free-write style today, folks.

I was studying for my exam today in Small Group Communication. It was fairly interesting stuff, and one of the sections was all about nonverbal behavior. It is amazing how much we actually communicate using this stuff! We aren't able to communicate without it; everything from your body language to you facial expressions, to how you breath, to how you sit is all nonverbal communication. Even your time is nonverbal communication. I guess that's why interviewers think that you don't care much about a job if you show up late for the interview.
Anyway, that just made me think about a lot of different things. Like being in constant 'communication' with God. Prayer is our way of communicating with God, as is worship, and other things. I like to write in my prayer journal. Ever since the retreat, I have worked on my attitude toward God, and that in turn has changed my attitude toward myself, toward my classes, toward life in general, toward Josh, and toward the future. It's so cool to just be able to give everything to God.

I don't much like Christian cliches like the one I just used -- Give everything to God -- but it is a very good one, non the less. I just thought of an analogy. Josh isn't usually a big fan of my analogies, but sometimes they are good... :)

Picture yourself sitting down to eat this yummy, tender, juicy steak for dinner. Now, in my mind, steak is to mashed poatatoes as Jesus is to Christmas. So, you sit down, you cut up a few pieces of steak, you eat them, and then you bring your fork down, expecting it to slide in to this nice side helping of mashed potatoes loaded with tons of butter, salt, and don't forget the sour cream.. mmm. But ---GASP---- where are my mashed potatoes!!!?!?!?!?!? Yep, they aren't there. You get a little panicked, and you start screaming, and you may even throw something. Then Your mom kindly says, "Well, they are right there in front of you, dear. You must've gotten too caught up in the steak and forgotten to scoop yourself some potatoes!"

Okay, so where am I going with this... Well
life is the steak -- Pretty good, for the most part
God is the mashed potatoes -- the steak is good, yeah, but it is ALWAYS better with a Large heaping side of mashed potatoes. Life is way better with a LARGE HEAPING AMOUNT OF GOD
Your mom is... well, your mom. But I guess she could be that one event or catastophe in life that makes you realize that you can in any way eat that darn piece of steak without those mashed potatoes. That you can't go through this life without God.
Also, God was there all along.. just like the mashed potatoes. We just had to take our blinders off so we could focus on something bigger than ourselves.. the table... to find the mashed potatoes... God.

I think that this was one of my best analogies yet. This is how I've felt, anyway, since school has started. I think I was missing my mashed potatoes. I mean, I was getting along just fine in life, but it just wasn't as good as it could have been. And God was there all along. I realized this I think during the Fall Retreat, and then it has just been getting better and better. I am not living for myself, but rather for a bigger purpose, something bigger than I could ever hope to be. And sometimes, I don't think it feels that way, because what I possess as far as talents and such seems worthless, but I know that God has a plan for me. And I need to remember that.

Josh has been talking a lot about the Holy Spirit and how it is awesome that the Holy Spirit can intercede for us in two ways. The Holy Spirit has the words to say to God when we don't know what to say or how to say it. And, the Holy Spirit can tell us what God wants us to know. It is so cool that we have the ability to communicate with God. Communication is such a major part of our lives, and I think that it is how God wanted it to be. If we didn't have to communicate, we would never have to talk to each other, and we would never have to leave our houses. Or something like that. Basically, this world would never function without communication, and thats how God wanted it to be. Yeah, He may have made it a little harder for us to communicate with people by putting all these different languages down here, but that, to me, is just a challenge, a motivator to get out there and serve and break through those barriers to communicate the Word to all of God's people.

Think About It.

No comments:

Post a Comment