Thursday, February 2, 2012

On Being Intentional

Being a mom has definitely taught me a lot. One of these things is how easy it is for material things to distract me from spending time with Aurelia. An example would be using the computer while trying to make myself believe that I am giving her my full attention.

God has really been trying to get through to me the necessity of being intentional. I've thought about it in the past, but never really realized what it meant. I think a lot of us go through life wondering what is next, or where we will be next year. I guess, to an extent, that is good... God doesn't reveal His plan to us, and He shouldn't have to. He did, after all, create the entire earth and everything on it. He is omnipresent, all knowing, and all powerful. But, while we are waiting for what's next, how do we go about our everyday tasks?

Its easy to get sucked in to society's way... doing everything all at one time. (Just take a look at today's 'smart phones') Most people today believe that texting while talking to someone isn't rude (pardon me for being upfront... that is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves :P) But what if we chose to be different -- to be weIrd -- and do things more intentionally? What if, when talking to someone, we give them our full attention? Or for me, what if I closed the computer and got down and played with Aurelia? (I actually do this, I promise :P I am just using it as an example, and I have a goal of doing it all the time, and not just some of the time!) See, being intentional about everything we do could lead to many things: great conversations, a chance to share the Gospel, a chance to grow, or learn something, or fix something, or help someone. Being intentional is one step toward being a better person, at least for me.

The next time you are walking to class, or are shopping, or maybe you are perusing the movies at the video store, be intentional about smiling at someone, or maybe be intentional about praying for that complete stranger. Being intentional could really make an impact -- in your life and the world.

**End inspirational speech. Or at least my attempt at one :)

No comments:

Post a Comment